Most Of you might have heard about the various diamond cuts, shapes and of course the Diamond 4 C’s. But did you know that:
- The word ‘diamond’ derives from the Greek word ‘adamas,’ which translates to invincible or indestructible.
- Diamonds are old, like really old. Earth is 4.5 billion years old and the oldest diamonds are around 3.3 billion years old. This means that some diamonds have been sitting underground since before the time of dinosaurs. Makes you wonder how old your diamond ring is. 🙂
- Only one diamond in a million weighs one carat or more. On average, a diamond will lose about 50% of its original weight when it is cut and polished.
- Diamonds have a simple composition. They are composed of carbon. The diamond is the only gemstone composed of just one element. Trace amounts of other elements exist in diamonds as impurities. They can give a diamond a slight color.
- The United States is the world’s leading consumer of gemstones but has almost no diamond production.
- Diamonds were first discovered in India then Brazil over 2400 years ago.
- A single diamond of 2ct is worth more than the double the worth of two 1 carat diamonds.
- All polished diamonds are valuable. That value is based on a combination of factors. Rarity is one of those factors. Jewelry professionals use a systematic way to evaluate and discuss these factors. Otherwise, there would be no way to compare one diamond to another. GIA developed a grading system which established the use of four important factors to describe and classify diamonds: Clarity, Color, Cut, and Carat Weight.
- The diamond is a birth stone for April. I happened to be a lucky one to be born in a diamond month. 🙂
Here are my favorite diamond jewelry items from our website that can make a perfect birthday gift:
Visit & Like deBebians on Facebook!
Follow deBebians on Twitter!