Today, I want to briefly discuss how to treat your fine jewelry. Often times I think customers think their jewelry is indestructible and feel that jewelry should be worn all the time. Believe me, I am guilty of this as well! However, it is critical to remember that jewelry should be cared for. Fine jewelry is just that… ‘fine’, and it should really be treated as such.
Here are some helpful tips for how to treat your fine jewelry.
- Do not wear fine jewelry while working out.
- Do not wear fine jewelry while swimming and/or showering. For example, your fingers will get wet, possibly shrink and your ring may slide off without you even knowing. I even lost a diamond stud in a swimming pool and luckily found it. I’ll never do that again! 🙂
- Do not wear your fine jewelry when doing housework.
- Take your fine jewelry annually to your jeweler for inspection.
- Tap your jewelry next to your ear… are any stones loose? If so, stop wearing it and take it to your jeweler for an inspection and repair.
- Make sure your jewelry appraisals are up to date (just in case!).
- Insure your jewelry.
- Perhaps think about leaving your fine jewelry at home if you will be traveling.
- Be mindful of your activities and really think about if it would cause any possible damage or loss to your jewelry.
I am not trying to scare you or to tell you to never ever wear your fine jewelry. I am just trying to help guide you in how you wear and care for your jewelry. For me, I put my jewelry in the same, safe location every time I remove it. This way I know exactly where my jewelry is at all times. Also, if I am going to do any activities such as working out or perhaps going to the spa, I remove my jewelry and leave it at home in that same safe and secure place. It’s better than worrying about the item and whether it will get lost.
Visit & Like deBebians on Facebook!
Follow deBebians on Twitter!